Home‎ > ‎The School‎ > ‎

Where we are

Scuola Liuteria San Filippo Italia  Violin Making School San Filippo Italy

Classic Italian Violin-making High Professional School


The Violin-Making School “San Filippo” is located in front of the Egyptian Museum, within the covent of St. Philip, whose location was established in 1675 by Duke Carlo Emanuele II of Savoy.

Turin is remembered by many as an industrial city because of the presence of car factory FIAT. Nonetheless it is a rich city for its history.

Founded as a Roman camp in 58 B.C. on the ruins of a village of the third century BC, and later as a colony in 28 B.C., with the name of Augusta Taurinorum.

In 1559 it became the capital of the Duchy of Savoy, and in 1861, the first capital of Italy.


The city and its surroundings are rich in monuments, including the Mole Antonelliana, the Reggia di Venaria (which was used as a model for the Palace of Versailles in France) and the Sacra di SanMichele.


Many museums, including the Egyptian Museum (second in the world after the Cairo Museum), the Museo Nazionale delCinema and many others. The city is also famous as it retains the Holy Shroud.


In Turin there is the Conservatory of Music "G. Verdi".

Turin and Piedmont are home to prestigious orchestras and music seasons: the Orchestra Sinfonica Nazionale della RAI, the Teatro Regio in Turin, the Unione Musicale, the Association Lingotto Musica, MITO SettembreMusica, the Orchestra Filarmonica di Torino, the Stefano Tempia Choir Academy, the Accademia Montis Regalis, Camerata Ducale...


In 2006 Torino hosted the XX Olympic Winter Games, in 2010 it was the European Capital of Youth, and it has been recently nominated for European Capital of Sport 2015.


The cultural life of Turin has enjoyed centuries of the presence and passage of the great men of culture. In Turin stayed, among others, the writer Torquato Tasso, the composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, the architect Filippo Juvarra. and the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.


The history of the violin has such deep roots in the Piedmont region that dates back to Baltazarini, better known in France, under the name of Balthazar de Beaujoyeulx (or Beaujoyeu), for the use of the first violin with four strings (XVI). Baltazarini was considered the best violinist of his time.


Between the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries, Piedmont counted out an incredible number of great violinists and talented composers such as Somis, Viotti, Pugnani, Giardini, Foaly, Ghebart, Sivori and violinists like sisters Teresa and Maria Milanollo.


The musical tradition of the Savoy State dates back to ancient times. In a register of the General Treasury of the Savoy, a payment is reported performance of "trompettes et de vyollons Vercey", dated 1523, referring to musicians of origin of Vercelli. This is the first mention ever of a term referring to the violin.


From 1647 Turin and Piedmont are the land of luthiers. Hans Angerer (or John Angerero) and Henrico Casner (or Henry Catenar) were the firsts, followed by prestigious names, such as those of Cappa, Guadagnini and Rocca Pressenda.


In the autumn of 1771 Giovanni Battista Guadagnini arrived in Turin. He was the most important and largely-known violin maker of his time. The Guadagnini family first lived inside the complex of St. Philip, where today you can find us.